Saturday, January 31, 2009

Top Ten 2009 Wedding Trends According to Me

I see an awful lot of top ten lists these days. Some I believe and some I have to double check facts on Snopes because they're so outrageous. Here is my top ten wedding trends according to the calls I'm receiving and the couples I'm working with.

  1. Guest lists are shrinking
  2. Couples are paying 90% of the costs
  3. Budgets are shrinking
  4. Destination weddings are increasing in popularity
  5. Fewer dramatic floral centerpieces are complimenting smaller non-floral centerpieces
  6. Yellow of all shades is in
  7. Grey is the new black
  8. DIY is playing some role in wedding plans even if it's just one small DIY project
  9. Rehearsal dinners are far less formal and smaller attended
  10. Mother of the bride lives in the city the wedding will be in, the couple does not.
Number 10 is one reason I work with as many MOB's as brides themselves. They have full time jobs and chances are haven't planned a wedding in years so want the reassurance that what they're doing is right and on schedule.

So there you have it. My top ten list -

3 comments:

Suzan St Maur said...

I was interested to see your list for 2009. Does the desire to have "greener" weddings still come into the picture, or do you think that has been overlooked now in view of the current economic issues?

Anyway, should you and your readers be interested in making weddings "greener" - which as you know, of course, can also mean "lower cost" - you might be interested in having a look at my blog, here:

http://HowToGetMarriedInGreen.blogspot.com

… where readers can post questions about how to make their weddings and other celebrations more eco-friendly, or they can email them to me, and I respond with the answers.

The blog is based on my latest book, “How To Get Married In Green: have an eco-friendly wedding without compromising on style,” which was published recently.

You can read more about the book here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Get-Married-Green-Eco-friendly/dp/1845282701/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195123385&sr=1-1

…although of course it’s available on all Amazons, not just the UK version, and is in most good book stores worldwide.

With all good wishes

SUZAN ST MAUR

I Do Vow To said...

Suzan - I'm still very interested in greener weddings and brides should be as well even tho the economy has taken over as number one worry.

Check out my post for 2/1/09 - Wedding Waste definitely falls into that category.

I'll look for your book - thanks for the tip.

~ said...

Hi Amy....

Our number 10 is that we work with way more bride and grooms and less MOB's as we are a Destination Wedding spot and the bride is usually not from around here so we deal with the couples more however they are still helping foot part of the bill. We see everyone chipping in on the wedding especially in our "new economy"
Great Post and we also try to be as GREEN as we can be in this industry!!!