Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Trending - DIY for Big Budgets

I was recently contacted to be considered for an interview by a cable channel who is producing a show called "Something Blue" - the show is designed to cover the event I'll be attending in ten days, Engage:09 Something Blue the symposium for high-functioning, high-end wedding professionals from around the world.

The producers asked for input on local trends and one that immediately came to mind is DIY. Do-it-yourself is nothing new, however DIY for high-end big budget weddings is. I believe it has become fashionable to do your own invitations, as an example and with all the professional printing options, papers, embossing and cutting equipment available for use, couples are gaining a certain level of satisfication by doing it themselves not to mention the substantial savings they realize.

I also like to hear couples discuss optional papers such as ceremony programs, place cards, menu cards and opting to not provide these items. Admittedly most guests glance at ceremony programs or use them as fans in hot settings, but the programs are rendered useless upon exiting the ceremony. Menu cards add fluff to the table or place setting and can contribute to the look of a stunning design, however the food tastes the same whether the menu is posted or not. For persons with allergies its nice to see the menu, however persons with severe allergies usually contact the couple to express wishes for compatible food.

I've been working closely with several local couples who have exceptional budgets and can hire the best product or service money will buy, however they have been expressing interest in DIY when they can. Not to save money but to work together as a couple, to take time to forge deeper connections and to say I love working side by side with you, let's do it always even after our wedding day.

I'm loving this great "new/old" trend and hope it spreads to other couples around the globe.

No comments: