Saturday, March 21, 2009

Design Tips




I admit I'm a freak about specialty linens and can spend hours touching, draping and experimenting with hundreds of luxurious linens at some of my favorite suppliers such as Linen Effects, Aarcee Classic Events & Festivities. I have to force myself to leave or risk being arrested as a squatter. No really...it's that serious.

But not every bride loves linens like I do, nor can every bride afford some of the price tags on these beauties - locally expect to pay $35 ea or more for high end tapestries and damask or as little as $12 for solid colors. Even $12 linens make a huge difference in pulling together all elements of design by serving as the foundation for the "look".

If renting linens, even basic white or ivory, I recommend 120" round for 60" round tables. This gives the linen a nice drop to the floor and covers the unsightly table legs. For 72" tables go with the 132" linens and for 6' or 8' banquet tables try the 90" x 156" conference cloth. These tend to be oval but with 4 florist pins and table pad, the corners can be pulled up and pinned into an elegant drape.

If floor-length linens aren't in the budget, try something I learned years ago...double up your linens. In other words, two 81" x 81" square linens for one table. Most banquet facilities use just one per 60" round table with the points strategically placed at the legs but the look is more industrial with the linen draping at guests laps instead of the floor. However using two per table allows for creative folding with draping then to the floor. So far you haven't spent an extra cent but have the look of floor length linens. Now for the finishing touch - use table runners down the center of the table to cover the seam and to add extra depth and dimension to your table.

Table runners can be rented at much less than specialty linens, or do what I do, shop at antique stores or Ragstock. Ragstock has an amazing selection of Obi Sashes used in traditional Asian kimono dress. These sashes tend to be 12" to 18" wide with sufficient length to elegantly drape over the table. What a great way to add interest and color to each table without breaking the budget.

Hope this helps.